YouTube video layouts can now be edited when converting long-form clips into Shorts.
The new editing feature, compatible with all Remix tools, is currently accessible only on iOS but will be rolled out to Android in the near future.
Why we care. The new editing tool could prove useful for brands and marketers wanting to capitalize on the popularity of Shorts, viewed by 2 billion monthly logged-in users.
How it works. To use YouTube’s new tool, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the video you want to turn into a Short and tap the “remix” button.
- Select “Edit Into A Short”.
- Trim to Select the part of the video that you want to use and then tap “Layout”.
- Here you can choose from various layouts, such as “Single” or “Square” to zoom into one particular part of your video. Or you can use one of the split screen layouts that best fits your video.
- Pinch and drag in the preview section until you’re happy with how they look.
- Save the layout.
- Once your’e done editing, you can upload your short.
Get the daily newsletter search marketers rely on.
Deep dive. Read YouTube Creator Liaison Rene Ritchie’s announcement in full for more information
New on Search Engine Land